City of Palmerston is taking steps to protect the health and safety of our community during the rapidly evolving COVID-19 situation.
Council has announced a number of changes to its list of events and programs over the coming months in response to the Australian Government’s COVID-19 advice on holding public events and gatherings.
Council’s approach may change with situational requirements and this will be under the guidance of the Australian and Northern Territory governments.
Ordinary Council Meetings are continuing, along with modified Citizenship Ceremonies. Council advisory meetings and Ordinary Meeting public forums have been cancelled until further notice.
City of Palmerston and the Palmerston Rural Market Association have made a decision to postpone the start of the Friday Markets until a later date.
Council facilities including the Palmerston Library, Palmerston Swimming and Fitness Centre and the Recreation Centre currently remain open, with increased hygiene practices and social distancing requirements in place, however members of the public who are feeling unwell are urged not to visit these facilities.
The use of Council halls and facilities will be limited to reflect the Australian Government requirements, with non-compliant bookings to be cancelled. Council will contact all booking holders.
Palmerston Library weekly programs are currently continuing, with Council also implementing click and collect borrowing options and extending operating hours to provide flexibility for community members accessing resources, while monitoring the numbers of patrons at any one time.
Updates and details on affected events or services are continuing to be made on Council’s website, www.palmerston.nt.gov.au and Facebook page.
- Urban Jams #1 (20 March) – postponed until further notice.
- Harmony Day (26 March) - cancelled.
- Activate Block 1 – cancelled.
- Bilingual Storytime (9 April) – under review.
- Library School Holiday Program (14-17 April) - continuing.
- Palmy Pool Party (17 April) - under review.
- Drag Queen Storytime (18 April) - under review.
- ANZAC Day (25 April) - cancelled.
- FlicNics (25 April) - cancelled.
- Tales to Tails (27 April-25 May) - under review.
- How to Adult (from 29 April) – cancelled.
- FlicNics (2, 9, 23, 30 May) - cancelled.
- Sanctuary Sessions (9 May) - cancelled.
- Brekkie in the Park (10 May) - cancelled.
- On Frances (16 May) - cancelled.
- Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew (22 and 23 May) - cancelled.
- National Simultaneous Storytime (27 May) - under review.
For information and updates on COVID-19 visit https://securent.nt.gov.au/alerts/coronavirus-covid-19-updates
Download media release