Neighbour Day is Australia’s annual celebration of community, encouraging people to connect with those who live in their neighbourhood.
In 2019, Neighbour Day will fall on Sunday 31 March with the theme pertaining to ‘loneliness – what neighbours can do to create connections’.
Loneliness can be experienced by people across the age and social spectrums, including senior citizens, young people, people living with their partners and families, and even people surrounded by others in the workplace.
The City of Palmerston is encouraging members of the community to bring people together by hosting a Neighbour Day event within their local community.
- Opportunity to get to know your neighbours and help others to do the same.
- Contribute to community spirit and help create a sense of belonging.
- Encourage safe, healthy and well-connected neighborhoods.
Stuck for an idea? Here are a few ideas to get you thinking.
For community members
- Host a BBQ
- Outdoor movie night (free hire City of Palmerston’s movie trailer)
- Garden games at the local park
- Morning tea or street party (everyone bring a plate)
- Quiz night
- Group dog walking session
- Book exchange
- Chalk art morning and so many more....
Tips and hints
- Keep it local, don’t advertise your event outside of your suburb.
- Encourage people to bring a plate of food to allow everyone to contribute.
- Host your event in a public or semi-public space (such as a local park or outside on your front lawn).
- Keep the event simple to make it easier to host on the day.
- Ensure your event is held within a relatively restricted timeframe (1 to 2 hours)
For businesses and organisations:
- Organise a Neighbour Day breakfast in your business park or shopping precinct in the week before Neighbour Day to connect with local business neighbours.
- Bring a plate morning tea for your office only to promote your involvement with Neighbour Day, or with nearby business neighbours to share the neighbourly vibe!
- Lunchtime sausage sizzle - who doesn’t like a sausage, a bit of bread and tomato sauce? Hire the City of Palmerston BBQ Trailer for free (deposit required).
- Follow Neighbour Day on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Share a message of why you think knowing your neighbours is important and use the hashtag #NeighbourDay